Have you misplaced your iPhone? Don’t know where to look for it or how to delete the data before it falls into the wrong hands? Find My iPhone is an easy-to-use feature from Apple that comes in handy if your phone goes missing. It lets you monitor the location of your missing or stolen phone, play a sound on it to help you locate it or warn anyone nearby, mark the iPhone as lost to remotely lock it to protect data, and delete all of the data on the phone if necessary.
To use all of the features mentioned above, you must first activate Find My on your iPhone.
How to enable Find My iPhone
- Open the Settings menu.
- Go to the Apple ID menu and click on it. On the Settings screen, this is the first tab you’ll see, just below the search bar.
- Select “Find My” from the drop-down menu. After iCloud and Media & Purchases, this should be the third option.
- Select the option “Find My Phone.” Toggle the Find My Phone, Find My Network (to locate your phone even if it’s offline), and Give Last Location options (automatically sends location of your phone to Apple when the battery is critically low).
If you’ve completed these steps, you’ll be able to locate your iPhone in the event it goes missing. Sign in to icloud.com/find to track down your missing iPhone or delete info.
How to view lost iPhone on a map
- Once you sign in with your Apple ID and password through any browser on the above page, it should begin automatically locating your iPhone.
- The position of your iPhone should appear on the screen on a map within a few seconds.
- If the device is found in an unknown location, readers are advised to contact law enforcement instead of attempting to retrieve their iPhone on their own. Law enforcement can request the serial number or IMEI code of your device. Here’s how to find out what your device’s serial number is.
How to play a sound on your lost iPhone
- When your phone has been found, an All Devices icon will appear at the top of the map. Select it by clicking on it.
- Pick your lost Phone model from the drop-down menu (your assigned phone name should appear here).
- A floating box will now appear in the screen’s top right corner. This should display a picture of your Phone, as well as the phone’s name, battery life, and other details.
- Select the Play Sound option. Regardless of whether your phone is in silent mode or not, this will cause your phone to vibrate and emit a beeping sound that progressively gets louder. This feature is especially useful if you misplace your Phone in a nearby room or location and are unable to see where you left it.
How to mark your iPhone as lost
- Click the Lost Mode button in the floating window.
- You’ll be asked to enter a phone number where you can be contacted as an alternative. This number will appear on your missing Phone. You’ll also be asked to write a personalized message that will appear on your Phone.
- It’s worth noting that these steps are entirely optional. The Lost Mode will automatically lock your Phone with a passcode to protect all of the information on it.
- After that, click Done.
How to erase data on your lost iPhone
- Click the Erase Phone button in the floating window.
- Your confirmation will be requested via a pop-up message. Please keep in mind that enabling this will delete all of your Phone’s content and settings. It is impossible to track or locate an iPhone that has been deleted.
- Select Delete from the drop-down menu.